The La Grange Presbyterian Church was organized on October 30, 1848 by Dr. David Baker, a missionary, and was probably the second church in the village. It is believed that the original church building was the oldest Presbyterian Church building in Texas. This same church building was sold to the AME Church in 1953 and moved to its present lcoation on East Guadalupe Street.
The current property was donated in 1935, and the first manse was constructed at 258 East Crockett Street. The present manse was built in 1972. It was on a part of this property, on the corner of Crockett and Franklin, that the present gothic type church was built. Work was begun on a new sanctuary and education wing March 23, 1953 and the congregation took possession one year later.
Throughout the years, the church has played a vital role in the Christian and civic life of the community. Their concern for their neighbors has been demonstrated by their participation in many programs including Meals on Wheels, the Good Shepherd Fund, Care Inn, Church Women United, the Itasca Children's Home, A.M.E.N., Second Chance and Puentes de Cristo in Mexico.
1853-1855 Rev. Robert F. Bunting
1874-1875 Rev. Oliver B. Caldwell
1914-1918 Rev. Matthew H. Arnold
1918-1919 Rev. Leonard Matthews
1928-1934 Rev. charles A. Nash
1935-1949 Rev. Guy B. Duff
1952-1955 Rev. Calvin P. Owen
1955-1957 Rev. Martin H. Thomas
1958-1964 Rev. H. Troy Jarvis
1965-1983 Rev. Frank McElroy
1983-1993 Rev. Newton P. Cox
1994-2001 Rev. Patterson Lyles
2002-2003 Rev. Tricia L. Tedrow
2004-2013 Rev. Walter Lee
2014-Current Rev. Dr. Gerald Hurst