Remembering our past...............


The La Grange Presbyterian Church was organized on October 30, 1848 by Dr. David Baker, a missionary, and was probably the second church in the village. It is believed that the original church building was the oldest Presbyterian Church building in Texas. This same church building was sold to the AME Church in 1953 and moved to its present lcoation on East Guadalupe Street.

The current property was donated in 1935, and the first manse was constructed at 258 East Crockett Street. The present manse was built in 1972. It was on a part of this property, on the corner of Crockett and Franklin, that the present gothic type church was built. Work was begun on a new sanctuary and education wing March 23, 1953 and the congregation took possession one year later.

Throughout the years, the church has played a vital role in the Christian and civic life of the community. Their concern for their neighbors has been demonstrated by their participation in many programs including Meals on Wheels, the Good Shepherd Fund, Care Inn, Church Women United, the Itasca Children's Home, A.M.E.N., Second Chance and Puentes de Cristo in Mexico.

Pastors 1848-2007

1853-1855               Rev. Robert F. Bunting
1874-1875               Rev. Oliver B. Caldwell
1914-1918               Rev. Matthew H. Arnold
1918-1919               Rev. Leonard Matthews
1928-1934               Rev. charles A. Nash
1935-1949               Rev. Guy B. Duff
1952-1955               Rev. Calvin P. Owen
1955-1957               Rev. Martin H. Thomas
1958-1964               Rev. H. Troy Jarvis
1965-1983               Rev. Frank McElroy
1983-1993               Rev. Newton P. Cox
1994-2001               Rev. Patterson Lyles
2002-2003               Rev. Tricia L. Tedrow
2004-2013               Rev. Walter Lee

2014-Current         Rev. Dr. Gerald Hurst




Contents © 2019 First Presbyterian Church of La Grange | Church Website Provided by | Privacy Policy